Monday, August 8, 2011

Act 2: Scene 5


SCENE 5



          (At the site of the crashed house in Munchkinland.)



GLINDA

That’s right, you just take that one road the whole time! I hope they don’t get lost, I am so bad at giving directions. Oh, Nessa…



(ELPHABA and GLINDA confront each other. Both are equally devastated: ELPHABA for the loss of her sister, GLINDA for the loss of FIYERO.)



ELPHABA

What a touching display of grief.



GLINDA

I don’t believe we have anything further to say to one another.



ELPHABA

I wanted something to remember her by and all that was left of her were those shoes! And now that wretched little farm girl has walked off with them! So I would appreciate some time alone to say goodbye to my sister. Nessa… Nessa, please… Please forgive me…



GLINDA

Elphie, don’t blame yourself. It’s dreadful, it is to have a house fall on you, but accidents will happen.



ELPHABA

You call this an accident?



GLINDA

Yes! Well maybe not an accident…



ELPHABA

Then what would you call it?



GLINDA

A regime change. Caused by a bazaar and unexpected twister of fate.



ELPHABA

So you think cyclones just appear out of the blue?



GLINDA

Well I don’t know. I never—



ELPHABA

Of course you never! You’re too busy telling everyone hoe wonderful everything is!



GLINDA

Well I’m a public figure now and people expect me—



ELPHABA

To lie?



GLINDA

To be encouraging! And just what exactly have you been doing besides riding around on that filthy old thing?



ELPHABA

Well we can’t all come and go by bubble! Whose invention was that? The Wizard’s? Of course even if it wasn’t I’m sure he’d still take credit for it.



GLINDA

Yes well it seems a lot of us are taking things that don’t belong to us, aren’t we?



ELPHABA

Now wait just a clock tick! I know it’s difficult for that blissful blond brain of yours to comprehend that someone like him could actually choose someone like me! But it’s happened. It’s real. And you can wave that ridiculous wand all you want, you can’t change it! He never belonged to you! He doesn’t love you and he never did! He loves me!



            (GLINDA slaps ELPHABA, ELPHABA laughs.)



ELPHABA

Feel better now?



GLINDA

Yes I do.



ELPHABA

Good!



            (ELPHABA hits GLINDA.)



ELPHABA

So do I!



GUARD

Halt in the name of the Wizard!



ELPHABA

Let me go!



GLINDA

Let her go! I almost had her!



GUARD

Sorry it took us so long to get her, miss.



GLINDA

What? What do you mean?



ELPHABA

I can’t believe you would sink this low! To use my sister’s death as a trap to capture me!



GLINDA

Elphie, I didn’t mean for this to happen!



            (FIYERO arrives to protect ELPHABA.)



FIYERO

Let the green girl go!



ELPHABA

Fiyero, how in Oz?!



FIYERO

Let her go! Or explain to all Oz how the Wizard’s guards watched while Glinda the Good was slain!



GLINDA

Fiyero, no…



FIYERO

I said let her go! Elphaba, go now!



ELPHABA

No! Not without you!



GLINDA

Fiyero—



FIYERO

Hush now! Go!



GLINDA

Do it!



            (ELPHABA runs out)



GUARD

Seize him!



GLINDA

No wait! What are you doing? In the name of goodness stop! Don’t you see? He was never going to harm me, he just… he loves her.



FIYERO

Glinda, I am so sorry.



GUARD

Take him out to that field there! Put him on those polls until he tells us where the witch went!



GLINDA
Don’t you hurt him! Please! Don’t hurt him! Fiyero!

2 comments:

  1. "You’re too busy telling everyone hoe wonderful everything is!" spoken by Elphaba near the start of this scene should say "You’re too busy telling everyone HOW wonderful everything is! "

    ReplyDelete