Sunday, July 31, 2011

Act 1: Scene 10

            SCENE 10



          (GALINDA has accompanied ELPHABA to the train station to bid her goodbye.)



CONDUCTOR

All aboard!



NESSAROSE

Elphaba, I am so proud of you! I know father will be too. We’re all proud aren’t we?



ELPHABA

Will you be alright without me?



GALINDA

She’ll be fine. Bick will keep her company. Won’t you, Bick?



BOQ

It’s Boq! I can’t do this anymore!



            (BOQ runs out)



NESSAROSE

Boq!



GALINDA

Nessa, maybe he just isn’t the right one for you.



NESSAROSE

No! He’s the one. It’s me that’s not right. Don’t worry about me, Elphaba, I’ll be fine. Safe journey.



            (NESSAROSE wheels after BOQ)



ELPHABA

Nessa! Wait!



GALINDA

Elphie, let her go. She’ll have to manage without you. We all will.



            (All at once, GALINDA breaks into tears.)



ELPHABA

You’ll barely notice I’m gone. You have Fiyero. Where is he anyway? Not that I expected him to say goodbye to me. I mean, we barely know each other.



GALINDA

I don’t know him either. Not anymore. He’s distant and moodified. And he’s been thinking which really worries me. It all started the day Doctor Dillamond got fired. I never knew he cared so much about that old Goat. Oh, look there he is! He did come! Fiyero! Over here, dearest!  



FIYERO

Elphaba, I’m happy for you.



GALINDA

Yes, we are both so happy for you!



FIYERO

I’ve been thinking—



ELPHABA

Yes, I’ve heard.



FIYERO

About the Lion Cub and everything. I think about that day a lot.



ELPHABA

So do I.



GALINDA

Me too! I think about it constantly! Poor Doctor Dillamond! It makes one want to take a stand! In fact, I’ve been thinking about… about… changing my name!



FIYERO

Your name?



GALINDA

Why yes! Since Doctor Dillamond had his own way of pronouncing my name, in solidarity and to express my…um… outrage I will henceforward no longer be known as Galinda but as simply Glinda!



FIYERO

That’s very admirable of you, Glinda.



GLINDA

Fiyero…



FIYERO

Elphaba, good luck.

1 comment: